VEDA DHARMASASTRA PARIPALANA SABHA (Regd.) Kumbakonam
Our Vedas and Dharmasastras are the roots of our Sanatana Dharma. The Vedic tradition encompassing all the aspects of human life has eternal validity. The Vedas have prescribed how an individual can regulate life in an orderly manner to make it purposeful, peaceful and blissful. The Vedas urge every individual to perform Karma (actions) for one’s spiritual wellbeing and also for the welfare of the society at large. Thus dharma according to Vedas, is that which fosters both Individual and social welfare. Keeping this in focus and with the noble intention to preserve our Sanatana Dharma, Pujya Sri Maha Periyaval established Veda Dharma Shastra Paripalana Sabha. As per the instructions of Shri Kanchi Kamakoti Peethadhipathi Jagadguru Shri Shankaracharya Swamigal, “VEDA DHARMA SASTRA PARIPALANA SABHA” was registered on 11th September 1942
The Sabha focuses on developing knowledge of Vedas and Dharmasastras and encouraging the teaching and learning in traditional manner with a view to propagate Vedadharma through the length and breadth of our country. This Sabha is administered by an executive committee appointed by Sri Acharya Swamigal. The Sabha also conducts examinations for Vedadhyayana, Prayoga and Dharma Sastra. An honorarium is given to students who pass the examination.
In order to explain the necessity of augmenting the knowledge of Vedas and Dharma Sastras and to disseminate them among the public and to inculcate interest in active participation in the Sabha’s activities, discourses are held in many places by Vidvans. The Sabha organises Vidvat Sadas, Veda Sammelanams, Vishesha Upanyasams and a Dharma Sastra Sadas.
Veda is the cornerstone-root-of all our religious discipline and culture. It is the Veda which prescribes so much discipline as is required to raise man to his real stature. The Vedas which form the roots of Dharma, were revealed through the ancient sages for the welfare of mankind.
I) Why there should be Veda?
• If the sounds from the chanting of Mantras and Vedic Yagnas and connected services prevail in the world, there will be great prosperity for all.
• If unity and peace are to be established, people of all countries will have to know that Veda was once a Universal dharma.
• The Vedic tradition encompassing all the aspects of human life has eternal validity. The Vedas have prescribed how an individual can regulate life in an orderly manner to make it purposeful, peaceful and blissful.
• The Vedas urge every individual to perform actions (Karma) for one’s spiritual wellbeing and also for the welfare of the society at large.
• The Vedas are known for the profundity of the truths contained in them, but their sound is no less important. Indeed their sound has its own significance and power.
II) Why Vedas should be preserved?
• To produce good thoughts in people, good movements must be created: that sound corresponding to them must be produced. If we can generate such sounds, good thoughts will permeate the minds of men. The Mantras of the Vedas are sounds that have the power to inspire good thoughts in people.
• The purpose of the Vedas is to speak about matters that are beyond the comprehension of the human mind.
• Vedic Mantras are sequences of sounds that are meant for the good of the world. Vedic Mantras are the very breath of the Supreme Being. Without the Vedas, there is no Brahman: To put it differently, the Vedas are self-existent like the Paramatman.
• The mantras of the Vedas are remarkable in that they bring blessings to the world in the form of sound – even if their meaning is not understood. The sound of some mantras have greater value than their meaning.
• In order to have prosperity and mental peace, now and for ever, not only in our country, but also all over the world, Sri Maha Periyava emphasising that preservation of Veda is very important.
• The Sound of Vedic mantras pervading the atmosphere is extremely beneficial. The sound and svara together will turn the powers of the cosmos favourable.
III) Who should Preserve Vedas?
• The potter makes pots for you, the cowherd brings milk, the peasant tills the land to grow rice for you to cook and eat. Everyone does some work or provide commodities useful to all society. What is the brahmana`s contribution in this context?
• The Santana Dharma enshrined in Vedas should be maintained in its pristine purity for all times to come. It is the duty of the brahmanas to do what all is necessary to maintain the glow of the torch of Vedic Dharma, not merely for the present but also for posterity.
• The Sastras have charged brahmana with the additional duty of performing various rites including Vedic sacrifices. The brahmanas who was a repository of Vedas was intended to cater to the spiritual and material welfare of the community: to lead and austere and simple life, have Adhyanana of Vedas, Vedangas, ancillary sciences ( aids to interpret Vedas) and meditate on the Devathas ( Cosmic centres of divine power) of Veda Mantras invoking Divine grace for the welfare of others.
• Nowhere it is said that brahmanas are for controlling and for ruling others. For the sake of unity in this country as well as all over the world, the brahmanas should preserve the very ancient Dharma he is possessing.
• It may be asked how the existence of a small group here in our country is going to cause prosperity to the whole world. Take a Power House, only four persons are working there. But the whole town gets light. If those four persons do not work, the whole town goes into darkness. Similarly it will be sufficient there are only a few hold the Vedic Flame for Universal Prosperity.
• Once the festival to mark ascension of Sri Paramacharya to the “Peetha”, showering gold (Kanaka-abhishekam) was elaborately arranged. He refused and asked the mutt authorities to direct the enthusiasm by doing everything necessary for the preservation of Vedas, form committees, frame rules and arrange for funds for achieving this object.
• It is the duty of every brahmana to preserve Vedas somehow or other and handed over to the next generation. If Vedas is saved, that is the work which gives the greatest credit to all. By doing it, we will get prosperity.